What's Wrong With the Ten Commandments?


The Ten Commandments are being removed from all government properties in the United States. I'm a Christian. I have a hard time understanding what is so wrong with using the Ten Commandments as a way of teaching good values and morality. Most children are not getting that at home anymore.

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. If you believe in any god, I would suppose you would be expected to be loyal. If you don't believe in God, what difference does it make to you? Its not like you are going to do anything different.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image. If you don't believe in God, you can worship money or anything else you want. Why does it upset you if I don't?

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. It is considered unexceptable to use certain words, especially in public. Although sometimes frowned upon, most people substitute other words in their places. For instance, the word frick is often used to replace the word f__k. Crap is a common replacement for s__t. Yelling out God, Lord, or Jesus Christ is considered okay. Damn isn't really seen as such a bad word. As a Christian, its not okay. Why would you yell for someone you don't believe in? I've never heard anyone call out, "My Zeus!" Why would you wish for damnation for someone, if you don't believe in Hell?

4. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. If you worship the almighty dollar, I can understand why this commandment would bother you. What's wrong with resting on the Sabbath?

5. Honor thy father and thy mother. People have no respect for their parents or others. They have not been taught, in most cases. Besides, why should it matter? They aren't worried about consequences now. If there isn't a God, what difference will it make anyway?

6. Thou shalt not kill. Why not? Because it hurts someone else? People hurt people all the time. In a hundred years nobody will even care. If there isn't a hell, why should it matter?

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Who cares? Is it anyone else's business? If you catch something or get pregnant, its your problem, right?

8. Thou shalt not steal. Hey, if I want it, why shouldn't I take it? If I'm careful I won't get caught.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Everyone lies. Big deal! Why should I care?

10. Thou shalt not covet. Why not? Everyone else does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons why Retailers should not Open and Offer Sales on Thanksgiving Day

My Favorite Time of the Year

The Christmas Season Is Upon Us